Disclaimer: The screening of your application will be conducted based on the information in your profile. Before applying, we strongly suggest that you review your profile to ensure completeness, especially the education and experience sections.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Vacancy code: VA/2013/B5001/1703
Position title: Administration & Finance Assistant
Department/office: NAO, Mine Action
Duty station: Mogadiscio, Somalia
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Contract level: LICA-4
Duration: 1 year
Application period: 11-Jan-2014 to 25-Jan-2014
Background Information – UNOPS
“UNOPS plays a critical role in providing management services for our life-saving, peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. I have seen many examples of how these activities help suffering people in troubled parts of the world.”
-Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General
UNOPS mission is to expand the capacity of the UN system and its partners to implement peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, UNOPS vision is to always satisfy partners with management services that meet world-class standards of quality, speed and cost effectiveness.
By assisting UN organizations, international financial institutions, governments and other development partners, UNOPS makes significant, tangible contributions to results on the ground.
UNOPS employs more than 6000 personnel and on behalf of its partners creates thousands more work opportunities in local communities.
With its headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, a network of five regional offices and a further 20 operations and project centres, UNOPS oversees activities in more than 80 countries.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Background Information – NAO
North America Regional Office
The UNOPS North America Regional Office provides services that help implement projects for a range of partners, and support operations run by the UNOPS Mine Action Cluster, Small Grants Cluster and Development Group Cluster.
In addition, the office serves as a liaison between UNOPS headquarters and its Executive Board, which supports and supervises UNOPS activities globally.
Background Information – MAS
Mine Action Cluster
The UNOPS Mine Action Cluster was established in 1997. Based in New York, it has helped partners to significantly improve the lives of people in more than 30 countries across the world.
The UNOPS Mine Action Cluster has supported Mine Action efforts in both emergency and post conflict settings.
It delivers fast procurement, recruitment and management services to facilitate humanitarian aid and launch emergency mine clearance.
- Assistin preparation of draft contracts for individuals orinstitutions/agencies/companies and travel requirements and estimate costs andfollow up implementation once approved.
- Coordinate administrative and logistical agreements for events/meetings, prepare differentcorrespondence on the above matters and ensure follow up system.
- Responsiblefor maintaining complete and accurate files and processing administrativematters in compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations.
- Ensureto keep track of contractual obligations in line with the timelines
- Responsibleto register incoming and outgoing correspondence for the Mine Action Office anddistribute accordingly.
- Reviewand process administrative forms (Travel Authorization, DSA, TravelExpenditure, Leave Requests, etc) for personnel and obtain authorization fromthe Project Manager as appropriate.
- Monitordaily attendance registration of personnel.
- Supportpersonnel including drivers, cleaners and guards including identifying trainingneeds and performing regular performance evaluations.
- Responsible for regular maintenance of office compound and facilities
- Ensure maintenance of generators on regular basis and keep record of fuel consumption.
- Ensureprovision of supplies including the procurement of non-works items whenrequired.
- Monitorthe vehicles, including daily monitoring of vehicle log books, fuel usage andvehicle maintenance.
- Ensuretimely maintenance of vehicle in cost effective manner.
- Preparemonthly fuel consumption reports with analysis for vehicles and generators.
- Facilitateand provide support to any other project office functioning within thecompound, as needed.
- Responsiblefor updating and periodically checking the physically inventory of assetslocated at the office, coordinating with the Logistics Office when required.
- Ensure adherence to UNOSP security rules and regulations by drivers, guards and otherstaff.
- Closelyliaise with Security focal point and radio operations, ensuring operationalcommunication equipment.
- Coordinate with IT and Logistics Offices to ensure operational IT and communicationsystems are available and operational in the office.
- Responsiblefor the financial administration and reporting of the office, including thepreparation of monthly expenses report for works and non-works expenditure;
- Prepareand submit operational advance requests, whenever needed and keep track of allexpenses.
- Ensuretimely preparation and submission of expense reports and replenishment of OA asneeded.
- Preparevouchers and disburse payments based on authorized expenditures as per rulesand regulations.
- Maintainaccurate record of operational advance expenditure.
- Responsiblefor the preparation and disbursement of the monthly local contractual payments;
- Prepareand process training allowances in coordination with the, EMSSS, HumanitarianDemining and Communication Units.
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing to ensure thatdocumentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has beensupplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of servicesrendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed byauthorized officials;
- Ensurethat paymentto sub-contractors are in compliance with terms and conditions ofagreement.
- Assistin processing payments related to labour payments.
- Frequentcontact with the local bank to obtain day to day information on changes inprocedures and bank regulations, etc.
- Keepdetailed records of all project expenditures.
- Preparepayment requests/travel claims and ensure that all supporting documentation areattached before submission to Support Services Officer for signature.
- Assistin processing financial claims and facilitate approval through ensuringappropriate documentation and record keeping in line with UNOPS rules.
Perform any other duties as required.
- Secondary Education required. Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Administration or other relevant field will be highly advantageous;
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in administration and finance position; 2 years of which must be from an international organization, international NGO or the UN;
- Previous experience on a large-scale infrastructure programme will be an asset ;
- Previous experience in managing and supervising personnel will be an asset;
- Fluency in English written and verbal is required
- Demonstrate attention to detail, good organizational and planning skills
- Has good problem solving skills
- Mustbe a self starter
- Hasgood interpersonal and communication skills
- Intermediatecomputer skills (MS Office and PowerPoint)
- Beable to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Individual Contractor
Contract level: 4
Contract duration: One year with possibility of extension, subject to availability of funds
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: